1. Your happiness bothers me. How can you display so much Christian joy when I’m the one with exclusive rights to happiness? You don’t even dress right, sing right, talk right, vote right. You don’t homeschool enough, pray enough, defend truth enough. So why are you so darn’d happy?
2. My misery bothers me. I’m supposed to have attained a very special acceptance before God due to my dress code, worship code, super code of codes. And yet there’s this hollow, nagging feeling in my soul. I go through the motions of piety, and the dryness is still there. Where’s my joy?
3. I’m shocked that the Holy Spirit would use your church. You have a contemporary worship style which I’ve labeled as “worldly” and “sell-out”. It’s frustrating to see the Holy Spirit using your church to save souls.
4. I tip-toe around all the verses that mention Christian unity & Christian love because they’re confusing. Why would God call me to holier expectations — and then turn around and tell me to mingle & hug the ‘lower expectation’ guys?
5. When you love me, it makes my heart melt a little. When you treat me like a brother or sister in Jesus Christ — simply on the basis that Jesus loves us both — it makes me feel all awkward inside. My heart starts to soften. It’s tough to shake off. It makes me think you know something I don’t. Stop loving me, GRRR!
6. I am so tired of keeping up this facade. No one can know that my family is imperfect, my faith is shaky or my church divided. So I’ve kept up this facade of glorious perfection for decades. And I’m so tired. There has to be more to Christian living than this.
7. I use the word ‘grace’ but I have no idea of its depth. For me, ‘grace’ is the little treats God gives to those who try their best to walk the straight & narrow. Everyone talks about this ground-breaking ‘grace’ which we can supposedly rest in, find our identity in and cherish for eternity. No idea what that’s about.
8. God seems really distant to me. Quite often. Actually, most of the time. But wherever He is, I hope He’s happy with me ’cause I’m trying really hard.
9. I’m afraid that someday they’ll find out I’m a sinner too, and BOOM – my ministry will be over.
10. I like quotes from dead, holy guys. But I’ve never dug into what they really believed or how they differed among themselves. I just assume they all believed like I do.
11. STOP BEING SO HAPPY GAH! See #1.
12. I really don’t have solid arguments. But the more hot & feisty I feel as we debate doctrine, the more reasonable I sound to myself. So excuse my yelling & bitterness. This also explains why I use ALL-CAPS in my arguments.
13. I heard a contemporary Christian song once and liked it. That really bothered me.
14. It’s all a waiting game. Wait till we get to heaven and Christ starts handing out the crowns, and then you’ll see who was right all along. Just you wait.
15. Being a Christian is too simple if all you have to do is rest in His forgiveness, hide in His greatness and find in His love the motivation to follow His teaching. It can’t be that easy. If it were that easy, why would my denomination be teaching these rules & regulations for all these years? I’m confused.
16. Yeah, I’m confused. So leave me alone. Don’t love me. Don’t treat me nice. Give me reasons to be sure I’m closer to God than you are. I want to be close to Him…I just feel so far away.